The Digital Plumber Apple Macintosh®, iPhone and iPad consultancy, networking, storage & support for the discerning creative
Live Tech Support: 0911 752 0700 Enquiries: +44 7930 312554
Click to send email to me As of 6th April 2013 the British Library has started to archive UK websites. In protest at the British Library's arrogance and evident contempt for rights owners and copyright in general, as exemplified by its shameless lobbying for the right to exploit orphan works directly and via Extended Collective Licensing, I have removed my IMAGE magazine articles from this website.
As of 6th April 2013 the British Library has started to archive UK websites. In protest at the British Library's arrogance and evident contempt for rights owners and copyright in general, as exemplified by its shameless lobbying for the right to exploit orphan works directly and via Extended Collective Licensing, I have removed these articles from this website. Please make contact with me if you would like a copy.
Calls to tech support cost £1 per minute from a BT phone. Charges from other operators may vary. Line open 9am - 6pm weekdays. Macintosh and iPhone are registered trade marks of Apple, Inc. Straightforward, knowledgeable, experienced, jargon-free, affordable, quick response. London & South-East England.
I charge a variable fee per hour for consultancy on-site, depending on the length of the job:
£70 per hour chargeable in 15 minute increments, minimum 1 hour
1/2 day: (up to 4 hours): £250
£60 per hour after 1/2 day, chargeable in 15 minute increments
Full day (up to 8 hours) £450
Callout charge within Zones 1-3: £35. No callout charge on jobs of 7 or more hours within these zones.
Outside of this area my callout charge varies according to mileage and/or journey time. My minimum on-site consultancy charge is for one hour. I use remote control and diagnostic software whenever I can to minimise callouts, and for this service I bill in 15-minute increments. All fees plus VAT.
• Settlement is due ON THE DAY OF THE JOB unless credit has been pre-arranged. I accept payment by electronic banking (5% discount), credit/debit card, or cheque.
• My premium rate technical support number will cost you £1 per minute from a BT landline, of which I receive about 70p. This number is only available within the UK: if you are calling from outside the UK, please dial +44 7930 312554 and I will time and invoice your call in my usual 15-minute increments. Please be aware of time zone differences.
HOW I WORK
• I'm an Apple Macintosh® consultant. I have 25 years of experience working with Macintosh computers and bring that experience and knowledge to bear on every system I specify and problem I troubleshoot. For quality of life reasons I'm afraid I don't do Windows PC's. Sorry.
• I'm also a working photographer and AoP member, which gives me a deep insight into how photographers use their Macintoshes and enables me to optimise their systems to best serve their needs.
• My client base is largely composed of commercial and advertising photographers, who represent my preferred type of client: high-turnover sole traders and micro-businesses. I understand their world and they understand mine. I don't tender for work or offer support contracts, bulk discounts, "guaranteed service levels" or work for medium or large companies. If you are one of these, Google will offer a choice of more suitable IT service providers for you.
• I work by appointment and make my best efforts to be punctual. Nonetheless I respond as soon as I possibly can to emergencies and, in so doing, may be forced to delay a previously-scheduled visit. I ask you to be understanding, on the basis that should you have a similar crisis, you in turn will move to the head of the queue.
• Computers are complex. Despite it being very reliable, there are an almost infinite number of ways in which your Macintosh can misbehave. Nearly all software has bugs. Despite my best endeavours I can never guarantee to be able to fix your problem, simply because its underlying cause may turn out to be beyond my control and influence. That is why I don't offer a "no fix, no fee" service. That said, I have been known to reduce or waive my fee if I have been unable to resolve a problem.
Links to software, sites, blogs and organisations that I find useful.